Space Assignment Policies and Procedures
University of California, Riverside - Space Assignment Procedures and Guidelines August 2019
UCR's physical facilities, like its personnel, funds, and equipment, are resources that must be managed, maintained, and controlled in accordance with certain rules and regulations and in a manner which contributes most toward fulfilling the University's mission. Space is assigned on the basis of programmatic need and academic priorities, and may be reassigned if those needs or priorities change.
Space Assignment Policy Procedure Accordion
Ownership of Space
The Regents own all UCR facilities, regardless of the original source of construction or acquisition of funds. Responsibility for the assignment of the space rests ultimately with the Chancellor. The Chancellor has delegated this authority on a day-to-day basis to the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (EVC&P).
Space Procedures & Guidelines
The following space procedures and guidelines were recommended to the Provost by the University Space Committee and approved in 2019.
Assignment of Space
Once space has been assigned to a School/College or administrative unit, the Deans and Vice Chancellors may generally assign or reassign space within space already assigned to that School, College or administrative unit to areas reporting to them. Changes within a unit generally do not require EVC&P approval, but must be reported in the Facilities Management System (FMS). Exceptions include the following:
- Reassignments between different Schools/Colleges or administrative units must be approved by the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost.
- If the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost has specifically assigned space to a department or individual, any reassignment or change in room use must be approved.
- If a space assignment has an identified end date, the space reverts back to the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost at the end of the assignment period.
- If a unit moves to a new space, the released space reverts back to the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost for reassignment unless otherwise approved.
Any change in the use of a room which requires renovations must have EVC&P approval. (i.e., converting a laboratory into an office)
Reporting Space Changes - Facilities Management System (FMS)
To meet the Office of the President's requirements for maintaining accurate space inventory records, all reassignments of space, changes in room function, or physical alterations which cause a change in the square footage of a room must be reported in the Facilities Management System. All space, including any space leased by UCR, should be included in the inventory. Units are responsible for assigning an individual to update their space inventory (transactor) and an individual to review the changes for accuracy (reviewer).
FMS updates are required twice per year during the fall and spring survey periods, however units are encouraged to make changes as they occur. Space data from FMS is used in many ways on campus including: providing data to campus systems requiring space information and campus planning and reporting such as emergency planning, planning for new buildings and major renovations, and calculating the budget model’s space charge or credit. Changes are reviewed by Space Management for compliance with Office of the President policies.
Space Management will perform site visits to review space on a regular basis to help ensure building floorplans are up to date as well as ensuring that coding is consistent across campus. Site visits will be coordinated with the Organization space management contacts.
For questions on the Facilities Management System or reporting changes, contact Space Management
Requesting Additional Space or Space Reassignments
Requests for interior space should follow your Organization’s procedures. If the Organization cannot accommodate the space need, the Organization leader (or approved designee) may request space using the on-line form.
Requests for core campus space are reviewed by the University Space Committee who makes recommendations on use of space to the Provost. More information can be found at the committee website including the USC space request process.
Requests for exterior space should be submitted through R'Projects, Submit Project Request.
For questions regarding exterior space mapping, data, or the administrative Geographic Information Systems (GIS) website, please contact the GIS Coordinator, Elizabeth Perez.
Planning for Space Needs
Approval of additional space does not guarantee that the associated funds will be provided, so space planning must be integrated with other resource planning. In addition, space planning decisions may involve complicated move sequences or space alterations thus it is essential that space needs be planned for as far in advance as possible. The campus charges for state funded space on an annual basis. Further information regarding the budget model and space charges may be found on the FP&A website.
In the planning and management of campus facilities, all building space is considered to be an allocatable resource subject to continual evaluation in order to achieve the optimal campuswide level of utilization. To this end, Space Management periodically conducts facilities evaluations to assist deans and unit heads in fulfilling their responsibilities for assignment and effective utilization of allocated space and to provide a basis for determining projects to be included in the capital improvement program (new buildings and/or major renovations).
Campus Move Procedures and Guidelines
Below are general guidelines and procedures for moves initiated by departments/organizations. Your unit may have other specific guidelines for you to follow. For campus-initiated moves, Space Management will coordinate these actions with your unit.
Moving Existing Furniture:
• Some furniture may be under warranty from the manufacturer and may need to be moved by an authorized vendor to maintain the warranty. BKM is one of these vendors. Their moving team will also move non-BKM furniture so you can use just one provider if preferred.
• Small moves on campus may be accommodated by Facilities Services Day Crew (Resource Management).
• Large moves may be accommodated by approved campus vendors. Procurement can provide information on current vendors.
• Vendors will generally provide moving boxes or crates as part of the moving service. Please coordinate with your preferred vendor for options.
• Campus building permits may be required for new furniture or existing furniture being attached to walls. Plan ahead to allow time for this process. More information on the permit process, as well as the link to the permit request, can be found on the PDC website. You may also need to confirm occupancy limits for multi-person rooms.
• Furniture purchased as part of a new building project may need to remain in the building. If you are unsure if it is appropriate to move your existing furniture, please contact Space Management for confirmation.
• Contact ITS Network Services to move telephone and data lines or to install new jacks. A work order should be placed on the Communications Work Order system (available on R’Space).
- Plan ahead to ensure jacks are available where you need them in the new space and that Communications can accommodate the line transfers on your requested date.
• EH&S has provided a Lab Equipment Relocation guideline document for reference
- Form to notify EH&S of moves - https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7UoOOblTydyCzJj
• Please direct additional questions to EH&S
Please ensure the released space is left clean of trash and unwanted furniture or other items – do not leave them behind for the next occupant.
• Unused furniture or equipment should be offered to your organization or future occupants. Any unwanted items in good condition can be sent to Material Management for campus re-sale. Contact Day Crew or your move vendor to coordinate the drop-off of items. Contact Material Management for requirements or restrictions.
- Custodial Services can provide a move-out clean up of office space however there is a charge for this service. Please plan ahead to place a work order for this service or allow time for your unit to ensure this work is done on moving day.
There are many options for purchasing furniture and Purchasing can provide additional information.
BKM has provided a document with some furniture options including price ranges to help start your discussions.
Herman Miller has also provided a link with furniture options.
Prices will vary based on finishes and sizes selected.
Please remember that you will need to request a permit for new furniture that is being attached to walls such as overhead bins or tall filing cabinets requiring seismic bracing. You may also need to confirm occupancy for multi-person rooms. Furniture fabrics also need to meet fire safety codes. More information on the permit process, as well as a link to the permit request, can be found on the PDC website